Today is “Compliment Your Mirror Day,” but I believe this day should be celebrated every day. One of the most difficult things women face is loving ourselves. To look in the mirror and say “I love you” is scary. To say to someone “I am an amazing woman with so much to give the world” is terrifying.
We are our own worst critics, constantly comparing ourselves to others and thinking we need to do more, be better, and look prettier as we try to manage the universe. But, as Lucille Ball so wisely said, “you MUST love yourself before you can get anything done in this world.”
You were lovingly created with a purpose in life, and you were given unique gifts and a personality that makes you you. If you cannot go to the mirror and say out loud, with total enthusiasm, “I love you and everything about you!” then read on.
Loving yourself means treating yourself like you would your best friend. You should be your own best friend, so treat yourself with kindness and unconditional love. No harsh words or criticism! Buy special gifts for yourself, think positive thoughts, and know that, if you fully love yourself, you can better express love to others.
Loving yourself means recognizing and celebrating the things that make you amazing and unique.
- Spend some time to really examine the things that make you special—your extraordinary skills and gifts, your values, the things that set you apart from others. If you have trouble with this, then ask your family and friends! So often others see things in us that we cannot see.
- Write these things down, and review them often, relishing in the joy that you have so much going for you!
- Accept the wonderful person that you are, including your flaws, and contentment will follow.
- Throw off self-doubt and eliminate self-criticism, allowing yourself to shine! Your light will be a blessing to others, and it will give you a sense of power and self-confidence.
- Recognize the value of your gifts so that you can share them generously and graciously.
Loving yourself means giving yourself permission to focus on YOU FIRST.
As women we are raised to think it is selfish or proud to put our own needs before others, that we have to take care of everyone else before we can focus on ourselves. But to generously give of yourself with joy and enthusiasm, first you must be physically and emotionally charged. When you are depleted, you may get resentful about the things you do for others, and you may end up so exhausted that you get sick. It is okay to nurture yourself so you better care for others. In fact, it should be non-negotiable!
Now, celebrate “Compliment Your Mirror Day” by going to the mirror and saying these affirmations to yourself. Then grab a friend and say them out loud, and BELIEVE!
- I am a unique and magnificent woman. There is no one like me!
- I love myself and accept myself as I am.
- I am beautiful, happy and worthy.
- I choose to live with passion and purpose.
- I allow myself to dream and set big goals for myself.
- I can be anything I want to be.
- I am beautiful just because I am me!
- I am a divine, wonderful expression of life.
- I am living fully from this moment on.
- I release the past, let go of fear and let go of anger.
- Today I begin a new life, restored and renewed.
- I love my body and myself.
Do you have trouble loving yourself? If you are ready to overcome your fear and self-doubt so you can let yourself shine, let’s talk! For a limited time, I am offering Complimentary 30-minute Strategy Sessions when we will take a look at where you are now and where you want to be in a year, and identify the first steps you can take to take a giant leap toward fulfilling your dreams.
Click here for more info, and to apply.